A common question people ask themselves or are asked by others is who am/are I/you? Or something similar like Tell me about yourself…
Most recently I was asked this at a Job fair. I like to think I’m rather self-aware, however such a vague question is hard to answer on the spot if you haven’t done any self-exploration recently.
I was the most self-aware during a semester when one of my professors gave us a battery of tests to find out more about each of us. It was a management class where a goal of the course was to learn how to deal with and lead people with differing personality traits.
The tests we took are popular in the corporate world when trying to understand candidates and new hires. If you take them on your own and mention that in an interview you will stand out from other potential candidates.
MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator)
- The Myers-Briggs measure your levels of; Extraversion vs Introversion, Sensing vs Intuition, Thinking vs Feeling, Judging vs. Perceiving
- Then it groups you into one 16 personalities types, and describes common characteristics of people in your group
- If you want to take the official test online, it costs around $50, https://www.mbtionline.com/TaketheMBTI
- There are free “knock-offs” or variations of the MBTI such as the Jung Personality test (https://www.123test.com/jung-personality-test/) or 16 personalities https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
DISC Personality Test
- The DISC measure how you behave daily and interact in groups
- The test measures your levels of Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Compliance
- It is available for free at https://www.123test.com/disc-personality-test/
The Big Five Personality Test
- he big five personality traits described by the test are extraversion, agreeableness, openness, conscientiousness, and neuroticism.
- The test is available from many sources but here is a link to a free version https://www.123test.com/personality-test/
I hope you find these tests as helpful as I did in your personal exploration. These should lead you to be able to better answer questions about yourself whether it’s from you or a potential employer on your job search.
Other free self-exploration assessments can be found at: https://www.123test.com/