How to Write the BEST Post-Interview Thank You Note
Finding a job after graduating college is stressful; but, what if you could kick start your career in only 5 minutes? Follow these steps to write the perfect post-interview thank you note so you can stand out from your competition and win some job offers.
5 Key Things to Include:
- 1. Subject line and a personalized greeting
- Your subject line should include “Thank You- Job Title, First Name and Last Name” so your reader immediately knows who the note is coming from and what it is for.
- This is your opportunity to make a good, attention grabbing, first impression. This sentence makes or breaks how interested the reader is in your note…and if they keep reading.
- 2. Note of appreciation
- The point of writing is to say thank you! Make sure you are sincere in your gratitude. Make the people taking the time to learn more about you feel appreciated.
- 3. Briefly recap your qualifications
- You need to remind your interviewers of why you are the greatest candidate out there. Include all of your skills and experiences – something you may think is random might be the extra spark that sets you apart from your competitors.
- 4. Prompt them to take further action
- Encourage the hiring manager to take the next step in the process by stating something like “Please don’t hesitate to contact me to arrange a follow up interview”.
- 5. Professional signature with your contact information
- Your reader MUST know who this note is coming from! Also, the lack in carrier pigeons these days requires you to provide your technological contact info – include your email and phone number.
- 4 Things to Remember:
- 1. Be timely!
- Do not take forever post-interview to follow up or your window of opportunity will be slammed shut.
- 2. Read the room
- Know the appropriate situation to keep it simple vs. being lengthy and when to be formal vs. informal with your note
- 3. Send a thank you to every person who was involved in your interview process.
- Show you appreciate their time spent getting to know you.
- 4. PROOF-READ BEFORE SENDING!
- A grammatical or spelling error can be the difference between you and your dream job.
- 3 Sample Style Thank You Notes
- According to Indeed, Career Experts, and the Muse, here are three different examples of post-interview thank you notes:
1. Shorter, Informal Note
Subject Line: Great to Meet You!
Thanks so much for taking the time to talk with me earlier today. Our conversation about the Marketing Manager position was inspiring, and it was fantastic to learn more about the role.
This job sounds exciting, and I think I would be an ideal candidate, thanks to my master’s degree and years of experience in the field.
Please contact me if you want to discuss further. Thanks again for the opportunity.
2. Formal Thank You Letter
Subject Line: Thank You for the Interview
Dear Dr. Chen,
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me about the Marketing Manager position this morning. It was inspiring to have such an insightful conversation about marketing metrics, and it was a pleasure to learn more about your insight into the industry.
The details you shared about the position and future goals for the marketing team convinced me that the role would be an ideal match for my qualifications. I believe that my Masters of Science in Marketing from Edison University and seven year’s experience as a marketing specialist would allow me to make a valuable contribution to the department.
3. Longer, More Detailed Thank You Note
Subject Line: Thank You for Meeting with Me
Thank you for taking the time to interview me this morning. I enjoyed our conversation about the Marketing Manager position and appreciate learning more about how the role works. The way the marketing and advertising teams work together sounds ideal for reaching goals and optimizing performance.
The Marketing Manager position sounds like a rewarding role, especially given the opportunities for leadership and advancement. I think my master’s in marketing from Edison University and more than seven years experience leading marketing teams would make me an excellent candidate for this position.
I look forward to discussing this opportunity with you more. Please don’t hesitate to contact me to arrange a follow up interview.
2 Ways to Spice Up Your Note
- 1. Show enthusiasm!
- Prove how interested you are in the position and the work you will be doing.
- 2. Mention something very specific that you discussed during the interview
- Jog their memory to remember your personality.
#1 Secret to Success:
- Write a thank you email AND a handwritten thank you note. Employers rarely receive any and this personalized touch will help you stand out!
***Queue piercing iPhone alarm sound***
Your 5 minutes are up! So glad you learned how to secure your post grad job so quickly! Follow these simple steps to writing the BEST post interview thank you note and jumping into your successful career journey.
Read some more blog posts from OurFirstJobSearch and make sure to subscribe to our newsletter for more information on securing your dream job!